Thursday 31 December 2015

Exclusive: Babymama Slows You Down - YCee

The babymama syndrome seems to have come to stay in the Nigerian music industry with many of the A-list stars becoming father out of wedlock. 




Some of them like 2face Idibia and Flavour have more than one babymamas. Either way, new dancehall sensational singer, YCee has some things to say on the babymama syndrome, the use of drugs and alcohol as it affects artists. The Jagaban singer who has gotten so many award nomination in just one year revealed these in an exclusive interview with Naij.com. Excerpt….


What is your take on babymama that has come to stay in the music industry?


ycee-mpmania

Well, I can’t say much about that because I don’t have a baby mama but I don’t think anybody will ever plan to have a child outside wedlock. I believe to a certain extent a lot of artists are usually not committed to anything else other than music because when there is a child in the picture you become distracted even if you are hiding it from the press. Aside that you have to start saving and planning for the future as you know there is somebody you are doing things for now not just yourself. You now have a responsibility so you have to up your game and double up so you don’t lose it. But I think in some rare cases  maybe the artist tell themselves that they want a kid now as they are not getting any younger. But the responsibility still set in, the need to think of what you have to do to be a good father. In some other cases artists become fathers because of unprotected sex and wrong planning. Either ways I think having a child is a good thing. Nobody will have a child and say it’s not a blessing. I just tend to see it as it makes a lot of people to be more responsible in their respective fields.

And do you plan to be one too?

I never prayed to be a baby daddy but a father that will be there for my children. Meanwhile I am still young and still in school so becoming a father now is the least on my list.

Talking about when an artist wants to perform, the crowd, the noise and other things affects and weighs some down. What gingers you to overcome those fears? What is your source of inspiration apart from music itself? 

The fact that I am going to perform at a show is enough to inspire him. Aside that there must be somebody in the crowd that came to watch YCee perform, no matter how big the crowd is I always look through the audience and try to pick out at least one person. The moment I see that somebody is feeling my songs I just focus on that person and draw energy from the person. A lot of people like to take alcohol before going on stage but it is not advisable in all occasions. You have to just pick out that area where they are feeling you before you know it the ginger you get from them you will to spread to the rest of the crowd.

Do you take anything?

None when I want to perform.

But you take when you want to relax and burn stress?

Everybody has their own poison in their own down time. When it’s time to perform, performances I take very seriously I don’t want to fall off stage. I don’t want to constitute nuisance while on stage, nobody wants to fall off stage and make headline news the next moment.


0 comments:

Post a Comment